Semiya Upma | Vermicelli Upma | Healthy breakfast | Upma Recipe | non sticky upma recipe


 



Upma is always a great option if you are running out of time and need something easy but healthy. Upma can be made using Rava(semolina), Oats, Vermicelli, Broken wheat.  Here I am making Vermicelli Upma. You can add veggies of your choice or can just keep it as simple with onion and grated coconut. But I personally prefer adding carrots, beans, peas and finally drizzle some ghee over it to get a nice aroma. Adding ghee gives your upma a nice aroma and enhances the taste. I learnt this technique from my mom. She even uses milk if she is making broken wheat upma.

Semiya or vermicelli is usually used for making payasam or kheer, But there are many dishes made with semiya which makes it an unavoidable part of our kitchen.

I usually make vermicelli upma as my dinner when I feel like to have something light but healthy.
Even it goes best along with tea/coffee when we are running out of snacks.



In my channel, I have a variety of upma recipes like 

Nutrimix Upma

Bread Upma

Broken Wheat Upma

Healthy Oats Upma

Vegetable Idiyappam / Leftover Idiyappam Upma



I usually prefer upma to be dry and non-sticky. For getting that consistency I skip the traditional method of adding water and then allowing it to absorb and cook. Instead, I prefer to add water gradually in intervals and then close and cook in medium-low flame. This method makes my upma non-sticky, dry and flavourful.

Ingredients


  • Semiya/Vermicelli - 1 cup
  • ghee - 3tsp
  • dried red chilli -2 
  • mustard seeds - 1/2tsp
  • urad dal - 1tsp
  • curry leaves - few
  • onion - 1/2
  • peanuts - few
  • green chillies -1
  • ginger -1 inch, chopped finely
  • Carrots
  • Peas
  • Grated Coconut
  • salt
  • water


       
      Check our latest video : Chicken Dum Biriyani






Procedure:


  • Roast the vermicelli in ghee until it turns golden.
  • Transfer roasted vermicelli to a plate
  • To a Kadai add mustard seeds, dried red chilli, urad dal and curry leaves. Wait until mustard seeds splutter and urad dal turns golden.
  • Add onion, peanuts and ginger and saute them until they are slightly soft.
  • You can even add green chillies as you like, here I have added one chilli.
  • Add veggies of your choice, I have added carrots and peas. Quantity is up to you.
  • When veggies are soft add roasted vermicelli and saute it.
  • Now add water gradually and give it a quick mix and then close and cook it for a while and again repeat this step until you find the vermicelli are really soft and cooked.
  • When they are cooked add grated coconut and again combines well
  • Now your healthy vermicelli upma is ready to serve.







Comments